Addiction Treatment—A Carlat Guide (2017)
Are you referring most of your substance using patients to addiction clinics, where they are “lost to follow up”? After reading these 14 brief chapters covering the major substances of abuse (general topics such as how to order drug screens, how 12 step programs work, and how to quickly diagnose and assess the severity of a substance use problem), you will know so much about how to manage these patients that you’ll want to start treating them yourself. And there’s no better feeling than helping patients pull their lives together when an addiction is causing things to spiral out of control.
View free PDF of sample pages.
Practical Topics Include:
- How to diagnose substance use disorders using DSM-5
- Treating opioid addiction
- Responding to a patient’s reluctance to attend AA meetings
- Strategies to help patients quit smoking
- Long-term effects of cannabis use
- Addressing cocaine, amphetamine, and methamphetamine use
- Using motivational interviewing techniques