Treating Alcohol Use Disorder—A Fact Book (2023)
This PDF/eBook book is 54 pages long. It includes instant access to the 6 CME post-test.
This latest Carlat Fact Book provides you with all the tools and information needed to assess and treat your patients who are struggling with alcohol use disorder. Unlike traditional textbooks, this Fact Book distills each critical aspect of clinical decision making into a single sheet, with tips and bullet points that you can use at the point of care. Topics covered include assessing severity of use, treating withdrawal symptoms, use of basic therapeutic techniques, and appropriate prescription of medications for alcohol use disorder.
PRACTICAL TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Tips for the initial assessment
- How to use motivational interviewing
- How to use cognitive behavioral therapy techniques
- How to conduct a family meeting
- Withdrawal time course and symptoms
- How to use phenobarbital to manage withdrawal
MEDICATION FACT SHEETS INCLUDE:
- Naltrexone (ReVia, Vivitrol)
- Acamprosate (Campral)
- Disulfiram (Antabuse)
- Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin)
- Topiramate (Eprontia, Qudexy XR, Topamax, Trokendi XR)